People Need Nature

The future will belong to the nature-smart—those individuals, families, businesses, and political leaders who develop a deeper understanding of the transformative power of the natural world and who balance the virtual with the real. The more high-tech we become, the more nature we need.   -Richard Louv

And so it is. People who already understand how important nature is to humans, spend time in it, enjoy it, protect it. When they speak to others about how important nature is, they are mostly preaching to the choir. Those who already understand the message. 

We also know that nature has a restorative impact on the human brain. This is a commonly held view from neuroscientists. No long lists of references and citations are needed. So why then are we flocking to cities and spending up to 90% of our days inside? Surely we understand that in the remaining 10%, a full half of that time spent commenting in our cars does not equal time spent in nature! Nor does that time give our brains the much needed health benefit that being outside would afford us.

If we know better, or at least some of us do, why don’t we do better? Maybe the problems that landed us at this point in history are too painful and difficult to solve. The earth has been around for a long time and surely does not need humans to save it. A brilliant video series from “Nature is speaking” reminds us that we people need nature, a lot more than nature needs people.

Some call me Nature, others call me mother nature
I’ve been here for over four and a half billion years
Twenty-two thousand five hundred times longer than you
I don’t really need people but people need me
Yes, your future depends on me
When I thrive, you thrive
When I falter, you falter or worse (?)
But I’ve been here for aeons
I have fed species greater than you, and
I have starved species greater than you
My oceans, my soil, my flowing streams, my forests,
they all can take you or leave you
How you chose to live each day whether you regard or
disregard me doesn’t really matter to me
One way or the other your actions will determine your fate not mine
I am nature
I will go on
I am prepared to evolve

Are you?

Take a small step to improve yourself. Go outside. For a walk. Listen, watch, think. Once a week, then maybe more often. Notice the changes in your ideas, thoughts flowing just a bit easier. Tempers a little more controlled. A sense of wonder at the natural world and the beauty of it, a little more heightened. Repeat.


I welcome:

Post a Comment